Saturday, April 16, 2016

Flying Jewel

White Throated Kingfisher watercolor and ink by Meera Rao
India Art Journal 2015 

Everyday at the same time this kingfisher perched conspicuously on a thick cable wire by my window. With a clear view of the road below and all the neighboring yards, it could look for its pray of small rodents, earthworms, large insects, snakes, fish and frogs, but I never saw it catch anything.  Mostly it looked like the bird stopped to rest for just a few minutes on its way from or to someplace else - probably to the huge Kukkare Halli Lake a few miles away. With its brilliant colors of teal, chestnut, and white body with a red beak it looks like a flying jewel! Here is a link for the Kingfisher calls if you want to listen how it sounds like :) I had hoped to catch a glimpse of the bird flying off so I could see how the teal wings looked like but never managed that :( 

This is one of the subjects I had to sketch more than once - as I was never satisfied with how the colors looked on the paper. The brilliant beautiful shimmering colors of the bird are a sight to behold.  


White Throated Kingfisher 5.5x8" watercolor and ink on 140 lb Strathmore visual Journal

2 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Meera, your diligence has paid off; he is lovely. Hopefully he'll stick around and you can catch him in flight. Enjoy your day!

Meera Rao said...

Thanks, Carol! I will have to wait for my next trip to see if I can catch him n flight !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...