Thursday, September 26, 2013

Shrines and Seams

2013 India Sketch Journal  July 14 by Meera Rao

Road side shrines dot the streets - some are just a small niche in a wall, or a small platform with an idol under the shelter of a tree, and some are little structures built with stones and bricks as proper miniature temples as in the sketch above.  These don't have a priest but the neighborhood community members take care of daily cleaning, adorning it with fresh flowers and keeping it spruced up. As always, these shrines are reminders of the spirituality, gratefulness for the benevolence of the Universe. Here  is a sketch of another shrine from my 2012 sketchbook if you are curious. 

2013 India Sketch Journal  July 15 by Meera Rao
Sewing Mends the soul - Author Unknown

There is such heavy demand for electricity that routinely people in India experience power outages. Bigger stores and offices have their own generators for times likes these but the little mom and pop stores like the tailor shop in the neighborhood still operate old fashioned sewing machines etc that don't require electricity to run. They can run their business and earn a livelihood. Check out the tailor using the old fashioned sewing machine here and a sketch of the UPS (universal Power Source) here 

2013 India Sketch Journal  Page 20 by Meera Rao

Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel ~Anon. 

12 comments:

Lisa Graham said...

Wonderful sketches Meera...the shrine in your 2012 sketchbook is amazing. It's so big.

There is something very special about an old sewing machine, isn't there? I love your sketch of it and also the tailor working in his shop. Delightful atmosphere!

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh what memories you bring back to me with your sketch of the sewing machine. We had one by Singer that you had to work the pedal to move the needle. I sewed many things on that machine and developed good leg muscles as a bonus. :) Enjoy your day!

padmaja said...

I have that old fashioned peddling machine with me and it is an antique still working beautifully well! Your shrine sketch is too good, just a reflection of what we see in most streets now a days, I personally don't like them mushrooming like that, they are becoming a nuisance slowly what with the BDA not able to demolish any of them.

Kathy Staicer said...

I feel like I'm on a tour of India not only seeing what's out there but learning about the way people live. As always great sketches.

Jane said...

Some excellent sketches, really love the one with the sewing machine !

irinapictures said...

Indian stories spiced with your illustrations are priceless.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Lisa! The street side shrines are unbelievably varied , unusual and beautiful - I have seem books on them in the bookstore! I love those sewing machines too :)

Meera Rao said...

Carol, My mom had one of those and sewed all my dresses when I was growing up too ! So glad this post brought back happy memories for you !

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja- aren't you lucky to still own one of those machines! - I am envious ! one reason I don't mind the road side shrines is that it keeps the area around nice and clean and also uncluttered by the vendors or squatters!

Meera Rao said...

Kathy, thanks! I am happy to be your tour guide and show a small slice of the variety of life and scenes of India :)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Jane! I have had fun sketching and glad it shows!

Meera Rao said...

Irina, thanks! Comments like yours make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...