Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Consuming Passions

India art Journal July 6,7,8,& 9  By Meera Rao 
"Food to a large extent is what holds a society together and eating is closely linked to deep spiritual experiences." Peter Farb and George Armelagos
'Consuming Passions: The Anthropology of Eating'

The first few days (and actually throughout the stay!) in India are always about eating and enjoying the delicasies. The food seems to taste different and of course better - especially when my family cooks special dishes for me :)

My Uncle and his family came to visit me soon after I left my parents' place and went to stay with my M-I-L.  Being very generous and extremely considerate, he came with catered food for all ! The food was even served traditional style- on banana leaves - again environmentally friendly with no dishes to wash! And let me tell you, everything tastes superb when served that way :) The next day I had to sketch the tiffin carriers and pails as they sat empty and shiny in the hallway waiting for the caterer. So much variety and leftovers that suffice it to say I did not have to cook for almost a week! The Jackfruit was also one of the many things he brought from his farm :)

Sketches in watercolor and Pilot G-2 pen

15 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

It looks like you really enjoy using your art journal. What a blessing, not to have to cook!

Meera Rao said...

That blessing was only for a week - till I got over jet lag and left my parents' place! Now I am fully in house keeping mode :( I do my journal in the afternoon when everyone is taking thei naps ;) rest of the day is pretty full!

Introverted Art said...

I love these sketches in watercolor. Especially because of the subject ;-)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Ana, they were definitely a lot of fun to paint ;)

irinapictures said...

Great sketches. And great you had time for sketching.
My problem is I remember my intention to sketch food only when everything is already eaten and plates are empty)))

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Irina:) Some things I remember well - like the lunch on banana leaf) even when its gone :) for others I depend on my trusty old camera!I am sure I have people wondering beccause of how intensly I look at things :)

padmaja said...

Nimma baale ele oota nodi nange baayali neeru oorthaide :-) Tiffin carriers anthu, nodri saaku, hasivu start aagathe :-) Loving every bit of your journal!

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, neevu ooralli iddare banni manege! Oota madi chennage panchayatige haakona mathu art maduva :) Nimma comments htadaya poorvaka thumba thanks !

Meera Rao said...

*hradaya

Unknown said...

What a wonderful memento of the country and the special things to be found there! You are so creative and have painted everything so beautifully. I enjoy seeing your work, and learning about the places that you've been to.

Meera Rao said...

Katherine, much thanks :) I really appreciate your comments. It is really very interesting how I am looking at everything with new eyes as I look for things to sketch and record. And doing a sketch journal has been freeing in a way as I have given myself permission not to be a perfectionist or have fully resolved compositions :)

Abha Gupta said...

Lunch on banana leaf! That's definitely 'going green' by any EPA standards! Also, my favorite way of consuming food. As a matter of fact, I love those leaves so much that when I found laminated table place-mats like those banana leaves, I got them. But, it is not the same as eating on those fresh leaves! They seem to make the food more delicious. I miss those weddings where one gets to sit on the floor and eat on those leaves! Thank you for these lovely visuals of my roots.

Meera Rao said...

than you, Abha :)I always look forward to ocassions to eat on banana leaves while in India --not only it tastes wonderful, it also means we get traditional special foods too :)

padmaja said...

Oh, olle idea! Bengalooradre hegadroo ee idea na nija madbahudu:-)

Meera Rao said...

Eeega nanny mysuru alli iddene. Neevu bengaluru bandage e- mail kaluhisi ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...