Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wabi-Sabi


Lily Pond  color pencils 8x10

Today I came across a Japanese term wabi-sabi. And it couldn't have happened at a better time. 'Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic. It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete. It is a beauty of things modest and humble.'    Wikpedia explained  'Wabi sabi can change our perception of the world to the extent that a chip or crack in a vase makes it more interesting and gives the object greater meditative value.'  It further explained that  'In art books, it is typically defined as ″flawed beauty.' I am going to fully embrace that word! 

The 'Lily Pond" was framed and hanging for a number of years. A few days ago, I  took it off the frame and reworked it some, deepening the colors, mainly the darks and the shadow areas. I see  compositional  and technical flaws.  But I am going to embrace the philosophy of 'wabi sabi' as well as the  "How innocent"  outlook of my wise old Sumi teacher from a one day workshop long ago as she urged me to accept my art work with open arms and move on. :) 

18 comments:

irinapictures said...

Lily pond is so beautiful and so innocent. Thank you for "wabi-sabi" idea.

padmaja said...

Lovely lilies Meera.. and wabi sabi.. what a wise outlook towards life!

AK said...

Love the idea and the painting.

Meera Rao said...

Irina, Than you! Wabi sabi is a wonderful concept isn't it?

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Padmaja, definitely a wise outlook to cultivate -as the saying goes :
"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
-Leonard Cohen in his song "Anthem,"

Meera Rao said...

AK, thank you! Isn't it wonderful to have a word for what is so much of life itself !

Kala said...

Fab art meera i also wanted to learn pencil art but didn't get chance ur lilies are awesomeeeeee

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Kala :) The best way to learn is to pick up a pencil and start drawing and drawing --now if only I can stick to my advice and keep drawing and sketching as of ten as possible!

Anonymous said...

nice info with beautiful painting

thanks

Meera Rao said...

Krishna, Thank you. I have been reading more about wabi sabi --and love what it stands for!

Crystal Cook said...

What wonderful words of wisdom! And I love this piece meera. So bright and beautiful. :) Wabi sabi is also a fun word to say. heh heh. :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Crystal, Yes! Wabi sabi is so fun to say :) I found a delightful children's book by the same name by Mark Reibstein. The art illustrations are by Ed young and totally awesome too!

Sush said...

very simple and elegant art Meera. I like your digital photography too...will keep visit your blog for nice paintings.

Meera Rao said...

Sush, thank you :) I am happy to be able share my passions!

Purvi said...

never knew about wabi-sabi, its quite interesting :) :)
and great art works by the way... its good to come across fellow artists :)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you very much Purvi :) The more I read about 'wabi-sabi' the more profound I find it.
And also thank you for following. --do you have a blog?

Unknown said...

That's a lovely painting. I like the book, Living Wabi Sabi, by Taro Gold very much! It's quick to read and so insightful!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Katherine :) I will check out that book. You might enjoy reading 'Wabi -Sabi' by Mark Reibstein to brilliant illustrations by Ed Young to your class.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...