Friday, March 25, 2011

Meandering Lines

A Day in The Life - Rangoli doodle pilot G-2 pen

I am not sure  cleaning up my doodle when I transfered it to the Fiction Project sketchbook was a good idea.  After tearing off a couple of pages (now I have fewer pages to fill!) because my freehand doodle was not going the way I wanted, I realised forced doodling is not going to have a free flowing feeling to it!!! I have a weakness for rangoli doodles so I can free hand a rangoli when I have to and not check any rangoli design books.  Rangoli with these continuous lines are my favorite - I try to see how long I can go on with the line before it meets the starting point.  Some traditional rangoli start with even or odd numbered dots and you weave the lines around it. How you place the dots, how many  dots  in each subsequent rows, and how many rows of dots all lead to different designs. With regard to the sketchbook, I have decided to draw only on the right hand side of the book, not fight the thin papers and just accept imperfections.

Did you know Google has special doodles of its logo to celebrate important dates in a calender year. Check out their Google doodle art! 

18 comments:

Sanctified Spaces said...

Lovely doodle.Feel like framing it.Even your doodle is a piece of art.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you so very much. I have been surfing the web and the doodle art out there is awesome!!! and have been amazed at the number of studies and articles on the art and science of doodling!

Thaikaden said...

It reminds my days in Karnataka and Tamilnadu. Nice work.

LamoreAllure said...

Hi again...I'm really enjoying your blog. I knew about the different Google doodles, but I didn't know there was a place to view them all together. Neat!
Linda L

taio said...

genial

Meera Rao said...

@Thaikaden, Thank you! I hope Rangoli will always be seen by entrances and give way to modernity.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Linda. --I loved the google doodles --aren't they wonderful!

Taio - thanks so much!!!

Heera said...

You are good at this! Great Rangoli.

Meera Rao said...

@Heera, Thanks Mangala!!! It is a lot of fun but I often get lost half way :)

Kathy Staicer said...

It is fascinating. I really like it and it seens like it would be almost a meditaion doing it. Another sketch finished!

Meera Rao said...

Kathy, you are so right about rangoli making being a meditation! Have you seen the Buddhist Monks painting the sand Mandala? the origins of both are the same! And thank you for stopping by :)

padmaja said...

Your design is very pretty Meera. in fact gives me an idea to put them on tiles and frame them, wont they look beautiful?

Eva said...

Lovely design and you have beautiful handwriting.I never heard of rangoli. Thanks for introducing me to it.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Padmaja, that sounds like swell idea! I have in the past embroidered Rangoli designs and framed them. :)

Meera Rao said...

Eva, Thanks, I am always happy to spread the word about that beautiful ancient art from India.

Hema Penmetsa said...

Aww, Meera, this takes me back!! My sisters and I couldn't wait for Dhanurmaas, when for a whole month we'd wake up early in the morning and fill up our front yard with a different rangoli each day, which would lead up to Sankranti!

Thanks for bringing those memories to the surface for me!

Unknown said...

Hi meera, these are great. I use to love to rangoli when I was little. These are so theraputic in the sense that they do improve ones fine motor skills (need to share with our school OT) It is amazing to look at the arts and practices our culture have had practiced and developed for so long, has so much meaning and relevance to our day to day life.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Sucheta! They are also very meditative and calming to the senses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...