Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What Matters Next

Color Burst watercolor 12x9"

Last thursday was TEDxNASA at Newport News, VA which I attended- thanks to good friends who helped us get the tickets. It was  such an inspiration to hear speaker after speaker with all the wonderful ideas. I came back charged with enthusiasm and motivation.  But, having not painted for close to a month because of trips, Deepavali Celebrations, mundane catch-ups, etc.. I realized my painting muscle memory was missing! This is my third attempt at painting the same flower in one day - the flower that had graced our garden this summer and gave me so much pleasure.  I was frustrated by the difficulty I was having in moving paint. The montval paper I usually enjoy painting on was not behaving in its usual way - I found the paper tearing very easily. I am wondering if it is the temperature fluctuations in my over the garage studio or if I had purchased a bad lot.  At the end of the day I was glad to have persevered and put in a few solid hours of playing with my brushes, paint and water. In a way, the theme of the TEDxNASA - 'What matters Next'  seemed to  resonate- what matters is that I keep painting, sketching and doing art :) 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lovely.. your work never fails to make me happy..

Hema Penmetsa said...

I'm glad, too, that you persevered, Meera, because I got to enjoy this rather beautiful rendition of the flower!

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Patricia and Hema. You made my day :) I was not too pleased with my attempts and and how the paper was 'peeling' when I tried to paint wet on wet. Love your support!

padmaja said...

Overcoming frustration and ending up with something that makes others happy is commendable Meera... nice that you decided to go ahead in spite of the paper getting torn...
The present matters more and the "next" will automatically follow :-)

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, thank you :) you are right, 'now'-'being in the present' -- is the only thing matters. As to persevering- I was happy to be back painting again and didn't want to stop....

Crystal Cook said...

That is a beautiful painting meera! You've done such a great job with the curves, it looks so graceful. Makes me miss summer. :(

And I'm so jealous that you got to go to Ted Nasa. One of my favorite authors spoke there. Did you get to hear Maggie Stiefvater?

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Crystal! Yes, I heard Maggie Stiefvater --her talk on following different path -"How Bad Teens Become Famous People" was food for thought. 30 speakers on that day were all exceptional and creative :)

Kathy Staicer said...

Beautiful flower and great use of complementary colors. Definitely keep on painting!

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Kathy! I don't think there is any other way - have to paint :)

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Prabha! I love patterns too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...